Skip to main content

Influence of Law and Ethics Week 29 #Not robots yet.




Ever feel like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place?
When thinking about the Education Councils Draft Code of Ethics (Education Council, 2017), I feel like there is an enormous weight on my shoulders. Possibly it is the weight of the teaching profession. So much responsibility! Student well being, parental expectations, school reputation, collegiate relationships, curriculum objectives, NCEA, EOTC, SOPS, health and safety. There is a mountain of regulations in teaching today. The draft code of ethics gives examples of good ethical behavior and also poor behavior for each indicator. My first reaction was that there seemed to be so many expectations of teachers and so much that could go wrong. I wondered where the room for teachers to be human is. (#not robots yet). However on deeper reflection I can see that these example provide good guidelines for keeping our students and ourselves safe.


What ought I to do, all things considered?
In response to A. Hall’s paper on Ethical Problems faced by teachers. (Hall, 2001)

My responsibility as a Visual Arts teacher to keep my students safe with the use of visual media. This could be through the creation of their own artwork and through viewing artists work online. The careful choice of artist models to study at each level requires an understanding of themes that are suited to secondary level. Artists studied at year 13 will not necessarily be appropriate for year 9 students. Also when senior students are exploring their own topics for their artwork considerable guidance should be given by us as art teachers. Art is a powerful tool, it can evoke many emotions and it has the potential to offend. A recent discussion on ‘dark themes’ (students exploring the darker side of being teenagers) had led me to come to the conclusion that as art teachers it is not our job to censor students work to the point of butterflies and roses. However when guiding students we need to make sure that we are not “exposing them to inappropriate risk,” (Education Council, 2017) and that we take into consideration the wider picture, the parents views, the effect on classmates and on the school.


The guidelines in Hall’s article (based on the work of Kipnis in 1987) are helpful when considering what one ought to do when encountering students who wish to explore issues such as bullying, violence, eating disorders, depression, suicide etc.

Distinguish clearly between personal values and preferences and professional obligations.

My professional obligation is to keep my students safe from harm. Although personally I value freedom of expression through making art works, professionally I have a duty to my students. Therefore I cannot make these decisions lightly, and may need to consult with guidance counselors, deans, and whanau before allowing a student to pursue these themes.


Vary the variables.
What if this student was a different gender or ethnicity? How will this artwork be read by people of different genders or ethnicity, does the work have the potential to offend a certain sector of our community?

Restate the problem in terms of what teachers owe to their students? To their students’ parents?
To the profession? To themselves?
Is allowing the student to follow this theme going to sit well with students, their whanau, the school, profession and what effect might this have on myself if it goes wrong? What is my gut saying to me?

What would happen in an ideal world?
In an ideal world students should have freedom of expression, and access to guidance to help them deal with these issues. There are many stakeholder’s views to consider, however the priority must be the student’s safety. More robust themes that have the potential to cause offence or harm should not be taken lightly. In allowing students to pursue these themes we may be opening them up for further harm.

“Nurture disagreement. It is sometimes considered that disagreement hinders effective ethical
decision-making. Kipnis (1987) points out, however, that “those who disagree can nearly always teach us something new or remind us of something forgotten” (p.30). (Hall, 2001)


The study of ‘darker themes’ may actually help students to work through issues in a positive way with the guidance of teachers. In 2016 our Pasifika students were involved in a dance workshop that explored the hardships that Pasifika families face. Sela Faletolu worked with students across all three local high schools to perform an excerpt from the production 'Through My Father's Eyes', This was a powerful experience for students that affirmed their culture and tackled issues that were relevant to them. (Gillies, 2016)

As long as we are able to consult with whanau, to offer support and guidance to our students, families, and teachers we should not be afraid of tackling bigger issues. If we avoid contentious issues we run the risk of pushing them underground and our student’s not getting the support they need.


References:

Education Council. (2017). Our Code Our Standards Draft for Consultation. Retrieved from https://educationcouncil.org.nz/sites/default/files/Our Code Our Standards.pdf

Gillies, S. (2016, April 23). Pasifika families’ hardship focus of play. Otago Daily Times. Retrieved from https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-otago/pasifika-families’-hardship-focus-play

Hall, A. (2001). What ought I to do, all things considered? An approach to the exploration of ethical problems by teachers. IIPE Conference for Ethics, Law, Justice and Governance, Griffith University, NAthan Campus, Brisbane, 8 April, (April). Retrieved from

http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/content/download/545/4465/Hall 2001.pdf

Comments

  1. Sara, I enjoyed reading about the ethical challenges facing you. I hope you keep your resilience in the face of policies and regulations that may negatively impact on creative innovation and expression in your area o expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, this is food for thought for all teachers worldwide really. School in NZ in 2017 is about Hauora, teaching the whole child so yes you're right. It seems a huge task to do it right always as we are only human but using all the resources our schools can offer such as other teacher's knowledge of students, counsellors, B.O.T, whanau and friends in helping determine if a topic is appropriate and not offensive to any group or culture seems our only alternative. If the student has a real personal issue it needs to be shared in some way best and easiest for the student, whether it be with a counsellor, through art or dance.The overall welfare of the student comes first.
    In saying this I'm also aware just how much can teachers cope with in the hours they have each day ? They need to have a life also to stay healthy. Needless to say a team effort is often needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Global Trends - Week 27

‘What are we doing for our boys? Their jobs are being taken by women and robots.’  A Brave New World: Have you heard this lately? I have and initially I was taken aback in fact, affronted! Poor boys’! How dare those women and robots take jobs that were once yours? And then I thought really? Is this a thing? The nature of work is changing and this along with other factors is disrupting our education system. Women and girls are out there, graduating, getting tertiary qualifications, gaining employment and raising children. No we have not yet caught up to the boys but the nature of the employed world is changing and it is scary for those who are slow to adapt. ‘Technology is accelerating progress but causing discontinuities. Rapid technological advancements will increase the pace of change and create new opportunities but will aggravate divisions between winners and losers. Automation and artificial intelligence threaten to change industries faster than economie...

Week 31 - My Interdisciplinary Connections

My Interdisciplinary Connections: I am a conceptually trained visual arts teacher. In my undergraduate degree I specialised in sculpture (object based and installation). Since then I have been painting and drawing within my own art practice. I work as a visual arts teacher years 7 – 13 and have in the past taught year 9 Maori and English, relieved in Graphics and textiles and every year offer a Level 1 kapa haka dance standard to interested students. Through my teaching I have developed a passion for Te Reo and tikanga Maori, and have sought to integrate this learning into my visual art teaching. (Freeman & Mathison, 1997) Intradisciplinary or integrated: I have developed a year 9 Toi Ataata (Maori visual arts unit) based on the design and make of a miniature kakahu that utilises an interdisciplinary approach by combining art skills and content from painting, printmaking, design, sculpture and technology with a kaupapa Maori approach. This unit of work has...

Week 30 - Social Media

Social Media in the Art Room. My initial reluctance, hesitant progress and a possible way forward. The weight of 'the cloud'. 2017 I have been reluctant to use social media in the classroom as I have been scared about the negative effects of social media; distraction, oversharing, safety of students and myself, the potential for posts to go viral  (Clun, 2015) . I am also very concerned about making sure I do not cross any legal or ethical boundaries as a teacher and representative of my school so have tended to tread lightly in this area. I have however used Pinterest with my students before for gathering visual ideas for artwork and design problems. I once followed a photography student on Instagram then decided that this led me too much into the personal life of the student. In an earlier blog post (Jan 1st 2017) I set myself a list of digital goals for 2017 and one of them was to start using Facebook with students to critique their art work. This did n...